Synod Legana 2009
Wednesday 17th June 2009 - Evening Session
Article 33 - Reopening
Chairman invites all to sing Ps 3:2,3
Article 34 - Church Order Amendment
Article 18 ACTS re Formation of Three Classes
Consequent upon the decision to amend the Rules for Synods under Article 18 ACTS, Synod decide to amend Article 45 Church Order as follows:
Article 45 - Synod
The synod shall be held every three years. As long as there are two classes each classis shall delegate four ministers and four elders.
In the event that there are three classes, each classis shall delegate three ministers and three elders.
At the close of synod the time and place for the next synod shall be determined and a church shall be appointed to convene it. A synod shall be convened before the appointed time at the request of a classis. Its time and place shall be decided by the church appointed as convening church for the next regular synod.
An amendment to the Church Order is necessary to reflect the decision of Synod to amend the Rules of Synod to accommodate the introduction of three classes.
To print the revised church order as an appendix to the Acts
Article 35 - Address of Delegate of RCNZ and RCNr
The chairman invites Rev P Archbald to address Synod on behalf of the RCNZ
(refer Appendix 1b; address)
Rev JGR Kroeze responds to this address
(refer Appendix 1c; address)
The chairman invites P Drijfhout to address Synod on behalf of the RCNr
(refer Appendix 1d; address)
Article 36 - CanRC (Canadian Reformed Churches)
8m - Canadian Reformed Churches Letter of Greeting
12b.II - Deputies' Report for Sister Church Relations - Canadian Reformed Churches
8o - FRC Darling Downs Overture re Deputies for Canadian Reformed Churches report
Rev PKA de Boer reads out the letter of greeting from the Committee for Relations with Churches Abroad of the CanRC (8m).
II. Recommendations of Deputies:
III. Darling Downs requests Synod Legana 2009
- Express thankfulness for how the Canadian Reformed Churches continue to show the marks of a true church as confessed in Article 29 of the Belgic Confession.
- Continue sister church relations with the CanRC according to the established rules.
- Mandate deputies to:
- Monitor developments within the CanRC for mutual
benefit according to the established rules.
- Seek clarification and discuss with Canadian
deputies matters including the proposed Art 41
C.O.(61), approach to addressing outstanding
differences with other churches, concerns with
RCN and RCN(r), and changes to Psalms and
- Send one delegate to the next General Synod in
- The Canadian Reformed Churches give evidence of continuing faithfulness to the Word of God, maintaining the Reformed Confessions and Church Order.
- We need to foster mutual understanding and support regarding matters that our respective federations face.
- We value our bond with the Canadian Reformed Churches and personal contact at the synodical level reinforces our contact with them.
- To ensure that deputies make every effort to attend the next
CanRC General Synod in 2010. Darling Downs believes that
it would be wise to change the mandate to include the
sending of two delegates to the next General Synod.
- To add to the mandate for the deputies to "express concern
to the CanRC about the changing manner in which they deal
with significant differences with other church federations in
their unity discussions."
- To add to the mandate for the deputies to "investigate the
impact of the pending merger of the CanRC and the United
Reformed Churches of North America (URCNA) into one church federation."
- To add to the mandate for the deputies to 'express to the
CanRC the importance of the principle of maintaining one federally maintained Theological College in their unity discussions with the URNCA.'
- To admonish the deputies for not clearly communicating the
decision of Synod Kelmscott 2006 regarding our relationship with the RCNZ.
- To add to the mandate of the deputies to express our regret
to the CanRC for not expressing clearly the impediment that
exists between the FRCA and RCNZ, and to urge the CanRC
to express to the RCNZ that this impediment must be
Synod held several rounds of discussions on the deputies recommendations and the overture of Darling Downs.
Article 37 - Adjournment
W Pleiter invites all present to sing Ps 40:4,7 and leads in prayer. The chairman adjourns the meeting.
last updated 23 Jun 2009