Wednesday 19th July 2006 - Morning Session
Article 100 - Re-opening
Br J Bruning opens with Scripture reading from Romans 3:9-20 and Psalm 32 and leads in prayer. He then invites those present to sing Psalm 32:1 and 5.
Article 101 - Forgiveness of Sins
Agenda Item 8c - Letter FRC West Kelmscott Appeal re Articles 132, 153, 155, 156, 160 Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8h - Letter FRC Byford Appeal re Articles 132, 153, 155, 160 Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8k - Letter Br G Spaanderman, Albany Appeal re Article 120 Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8o - Letter Br P 'tHart Appeal Articles 132, 153, 155, 153, 160 Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8p - Letter FRC Mt Nasura Appeal Articles 132, 153, 155, 156,160 Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8u - Letter Brs Reitsema/VanBurgel Appeal Articles 132, 153, 155, 156, 160 Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8w - Letter FRC Legana Appeal re Forgiveness of Sins Acts 2003
Agenda Item 8y - Letter FRC Rockingham re Forgiveness of Sins Acts 2003
A number of rounds of general discussion take place.
Article 102 - Reformed Churches of New Zealand (RCNZ)
Agenda Item 12f(iii) - Report Deputies Relations - Reformed Churches of New Zealand
II. Recommendations from Deputies:
The recommendations A and B from deputies are put forward for discussion (refer Appendix .......).
- Amendment 1:
Amend Recommendation 1.3 in Version A to read:
- 3. Re-assure the RCNZ that it is our sincere desire to enter into sister relationship with them but the matter of their relationship with the CRCA remains unresolved.
- We have no relation with the CRCA and thus it is incorrect to speak of triangular relations.
- Past synods have mandated deputies to encourage the RCNZ in their principled approach to sister relations and to continue sisterly admonitions toward the CRCA where needed (cf art 89, 3a/ 1998; art 53,dec 3 and 5.a/1996, while the 2003 Synod asked deputies to assess how their relation with the CRCA needs to be an impediment for entering sister relations (art 72,6b).
- Putting it this way may unnecessarily blockade the way to sister relations in the future.
- Amendment 2:
To delete Recommendation 2 in Version A.
- Amendment 3:
Amendment to Version A of deputies report:
New Recommendation 1:
Thank the deputies for the work done and declare that their mandate has been completed.
Deputies have reported to Synod in a manner that satisfies the mandate.
- Thank the deputies for the work done and declare that their mandate has been completed.
- To renew the mandate of deputies to strive for relations with the Reformed Churches of New Zealand by:
- Monitoring the relationship between the RCNZ and the CRCA, and to encourage the RCNZ to continue to admonish the CRCA where necessary.
- Authorising two delegates to attend the next Synod of the RCNZ, in order to convey greetings, discuss matters of mutual interest.
- Reassure the RCNZ that it is our sincere desire to enter into sister relationship with them but the matter of triangular relationship with the CRCA remains an impediment.
- Inviting delegates of the RCNZ to our next Synod as observers with the privileges mentioned in rules 6 of our "Rules for Synods" (Acts 1998, Appendix 12).
- Providing information to the membership of our churches about the Reformed Churches of New Zealand.
- To encourage consistories to take note, and act on, Synod's positive view towards the RCNZ in regard to practical support and interaction where these are not restricted to those between sister churches only e.g. application of membership from former members of the RCNZ, matters pertaining to the mission field and theological and Christian education.
- To convey Synod's decisions to RCNZ.
- Deputies have reported to synod in a manner that satisfies the mandate.
- See Deputies Report (Appendix ...)
Article 103 - Presbyterian Churches in Eastern Australia (PCEA)
Agenda Item 12b - Report Deputies for Contact with the PCEA
Several rounds of discussion take place on the recommendation from Deputies.
Article 104 - Farewell to Canadian Delegates
Br Leyenhorst, on behalf of the Canadian delegates, wishes Synod well in its further deliberations, making reference to Psalm 23.
The Chairman bids farewell to the Canadian delegates.
The Chairman invites all those present to sing from Psalm 23:1 and 2.
last updated 21 Jul 2006