Friday 14th July 2006 - Evening Session
Article 64 - Re-opening
The Chairman opened the evening session of Synod and invited all present to sing Hymn 2:1, 2 and 3.
Article 65 - Approval of Acts and Press Release
Articles 43 to 56 of the Acts of Synod are approved as well as the first Press Release of Synod 2006.
Article 66 - Relations with Reformed Churches in the Netherlands (7) - Nederlands Gereformeerde Kerken (NGK) and Christelijke Gereformeerde Kerken (CGK)
Agenda Item 12f (iv) - Relations with the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands (RCN)
II. Recommendation of deputies:
- To encourage our sister-churches in their pursuit of unity with the CGK to do so on the proven basis of God's Word as confessed in the Three Forms of Unity and as practiced by the Church Order of Dort.
- To monitor further developments and to report to the next synod.
- These churches have the same basis. The Union of 1892 should have seen both within one federation. Though this did not occur then, the mandate of our Lord and His prayer to be one obliges us to seek this unity.
- since these developments are ongoing, it is good to keep the churches posted.
- To encourage the RCN in their contacts with the NGK to continue to insist on the need within the NGK for binding to God's Word as confessed in The Three Forms of Unity, and also to insist on the proper place of the Church Order to counteract independentism.
- To express thanks that the RCN carefully assessed the request to reconsider the decisions of GS Amersfoort-West (1967) and Hoogeveen (1969/70).
- To encourage the RCN to pursue the recent developments in the NGK for justifying women as elders and ministers, since this is a barrier to unity.
- To keep in close contact with the Dutch Deputies and to report to the next synod.
- The binding to the Scriptures and confessions as well as the proper place of the Church Order for the bond of churches are the crucial points of division. We should encourage our Sister Churches in these matters.
- The subject of the split in the 1960s has been carefully investigated. It was decided that it's not necessary to change the decisions of previous General Synods.
- The declaration of the NGK to justify women in the offices of minister and elder indeed sets a barrier to unity. Our sisters need to address this with the NGK.
Article 67 - Relations with Reformed Churches in the Netherlands (8) - Reformed Churches in the Netherlands (Restored) (RCN(R))
Agenda Item 12f (iv) - Relations with the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands (Restored) (RCN(R))
One round of discussion takes place on deputies recommendations on the RCN (R).
Article 68 - Adjournment
Rev E Rupke invites all present to sing Hymn 41:2 and leads in prayer. The Chairman adjourns Synod.
last updated 21 Jul 2006